Upper West Side Daytime Dwellers

Upper West Side Daytime Dwellers

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

When I became one of them......

Three years ago I was normal.

I lived a typical New York twenty-something life. Fresh out college I worked a regular job Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Well, almost normal. I worked in television production and during the weeks leading up to a big event sometimes I would work from 7 a.m. to 1 a.m. or later.  But, for all intents and purposes I lived a normal life.

My evenings were spent going to dinner or happy hour with friends. My days were spent sitting in an office, often staring at a computer. 

A year and nine months ago all that changed.

I began working in the news, and my schedule became everything BUT normal.  Weekend overnights, Mondays off, working 4 p.m. to midnight, 6 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. I've done it all. 

But what struck me the most about my new life was that I was not alone when I wandered the streets during the day. In fact, they were packed.  There is a secret New York not witnessed by those who spend their days in cubicles. It involves eating in restaurants, drinking in sidewalk cafes, doing yoga at 2 p.m., going shopping in the afternoon, and tanning in Central Park. 

Everyone always wonders who these people are.  The trendy couple getting drunk at noon on a Tuesday, the guys playing soccer in the park. Don't they have jobs? Who is funding their $30 lunches? 

Well, those people are me!  So here's a look at the secret life of a daytime dweller.......


3 comments:

swingnow said...

great idea becky, being a musician, i know what you mean

Haydon Jones said...

Hey, just 'cause I have a daytime job doesn't mean I don't get drunk at noon!

I LOVE love this idea. (And I love Cafe Ronda too -- nice choice.)

Can't wait to hear about Dark Knight. RIP HL.

Anonymous said...

God, you sold me. Eating in restaurants, drinking in sidewalk cafes, doing yoga at 2 p.m., going shopping in the afternoon, and tanning in Central Park. Now I want to work nights. Where do i sign up??